Partnerships Program Intern
The Synergos Institute is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to the development of effective, sustainable and locally based solutions to poverty. Working with partners, Synergos’ mission is to mobilize resources and bridge social and economic divides to reduce poverty and increase equity around the world.
Synergos’ Partnership program aims to address challenges around poverty and social injustice through inclusive partnerships-efforts that bring government, business, civil society as well as affected communities together for collective problem solving and action. Realizing progress and lasting change on critical development concerns such as those enumerated in the millennium development goals will require an unprecedented level of collaboration between across sectors within a society. Synergos’ inclusive partnerships embrace personal growth and transformation as a key element of broader social change. Our work includes large-scale projects on maternal and child health and nutrition in Namibia; agriculture in Ethiopia, education in Brazil, community responses to social isolation in South Africa, and child under nutrition in India.
The program seeks an intern with a time commitment of 10-20 hours per week. Interns are welcome to participate broadly in Synergos activities, including all-staff meetings, staff presentations and meetings with external guests, as appropriate. This internship is unpaid but reimbursement for public transportation costs will be provided.
Based in the New York office, the intern will gain programmatic, research, and administrative experience in providing support as needed to the Partnerships team and our field projects. It is an opportunity to:
- Learn how a global international development organization operates between its NY base with field-based projects and staff
- Gain insight on Synergos’ systems-perspective and collaborative methodology for addressing complex challenges
- Build understanding of the international development field.
The intern would support the Partnerships team on projects such as:
- Capturing information and documenting project activities, learning, tools and approaches
- Mapping virtual and physical outlets where Synergos may profile its projects and learnings
- Researching potential partner institutions for future engagements
- Supporting Synergos conferences and meetings
- Preparing meeting materials and write up meeting notes
- Conducting literature reviews, statistical analysis or other background research on issues and regions, as needed
- Other tasks and projects that may emerge over the course of the internship
- Committed to Synergos’ mission and values
- Strong interest in learning processes and methods in an international, nonprofit setting
- Deep knowledge of international development content
- Strong research, writing, organization and presentation skills
- Experienced in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Spoken and written fluency in English required
- Spoken and written fluency in Spanish and/or Portuguese highly preferred
Send resume and cover letter to:
The Synergos Institute
3 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022